[GTALUG] Last Ubuntu OS Update Breaks ffmpeg

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Sep 14 09:01:49 EDT 2018

I have no particular knowledge of this, but I'll take a whack at it.

What is libGL?  Read this: <https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/libGL/>

It looks as if ffmpeg is trying to use your graphics card to help with
the conversion.

libGL is unable to load a driver.  Since one of the later choices
appears to be a pure-software driver "swrast_dri", your problem isn't
missing hardware.

I'd guess the libgl used by ffmpeg is obsolete and out of sync with
/usr/lib64/dri/.  Or perhaps you are using a 32-bit ffmpeg on a 64-bit
system, or vice versa.

Have a look in /usr/lib64/dri/ and /usr/lib/dri/.  Are both populated?
For example, on my system, I have:
	/usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so

Did you install ffmpeg from the ubuntu repositories?  If not, it might
be out of sync with the other components (like libGL) which do get
updates from the ubuntu repositories.

How did you update ubuntu?  Sometimes you need to use "apt-get dist-upgrade",
not just "upgrade".  (I'm not a Ubuntu expert.)