[GTALUG] Swappiness

Scott Sullivan scott at revident.net
Wed Sep 5 08:29:16 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-05 06:52 AM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 11:16 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk
>> I was referring to this:
>>
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness
>>
> Greetings
>
> Article looks interesting except the systemd provisions are attributes and and
> are not mentioned. Bottom of  the article indicates a somewhat recent editing
> date but with no mention of systemd I have further questions.

Dee,

Swappiness is a tuning parameter of the kernels memory management
algorithms. So there is no reason for systemd to be mentioned as systemd
has nothing to do with how application memory is managed.

> The article
> mentions places to change 'swappiness' and I can find the actual file but there
> is nothing in the sysctl.conf (IIRC the name) file re: swappiness. Somehow I
> would prefer something that did refer to systemd foibles as well for a guide so
> as not to really pooch anything.

Your correctly that sysctl.conf is the correct place, for setting kernel
tunables, at boot time. For run time use the sysctl command, or parts of
/sys file system interface.

In general you can expect sysctl.conf to be very empty, because it
should only contains kernel parameters you (our your distro) are
altering from the defaults.
Additionally it would be impractical to list all of them in such a file.

1) New parameters are being add all the time as hardware drivers are
updated, or subsystems mature.
2) Parameters are exposed in a dotted-tree (first.second.third_level)
and parts of that try will be system specific based on the hardware
enumerations.

eg.
net.ipv6.conf.eno1.forwarding and net.ipv6.conf.enp3s0.forwarding for my
two network interfaces, eno1 and enp3s0.

$ sudo sysctl -a | wc -l
1499

--
Scott Sullivan