[GTALUG] Backups with Bacula

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Wed Oct 31 22:03:20 EDT 2018

Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> And I have to disagree with Anthony on this one: spinning disks are going
> to be in use for a while as external backups: sure, they're slow, but this
> is a BACKUP.  Cost per terabyte is immensely lower and speed isn't usually
> the priority, and you can put multiple copies of backups (or diffs, or
> whatever suits you) on one large external.

Certainly you're going to use spinning rust for multi-terabyte backup
sets, but the point I was getting at is that if that's your archival set
whose files are set in stone once written then you may only need to do
backups of that monthly or less often, while a small active fileset
(including any recent archival additions) may be in the tens or hundreds
of gigabytes range so that your dailies are small and manageable and have
a good chance fitting onto flash.

--
Anthony de Boer