[GTALUG] USB-C port was Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

Michael Hill mdhillca at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 12:56:02 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 3:38 PM Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> One possible solution (which you may not need anymore, but I thought I'd throw it out there) is to run
> xrandr or arandr to switch off the monitor.  This would bring all the windows back onto the primary
> monitor.  You could then try using [xa]randr to turn the monitor back on, which might "refresh" the
> monitor.

Thanks, Giles. I think I've come to an understanding with the BIOS settings.

(ThinkPad) Thunderbolt Security Level can be:

No Security
User Authorization
Secure Connect
Display Port [sic] and USB

If I choose the first two in the BIOS, I can modify the settings in
the dedicated Thunderbolt settings panel in Fedora. I can even choose
to disable Thunderbolt support in the panel by setting it to
DisplayPort and USB. I can't remember how Secure Connect behaved (or
why it was unsuitable), but I'll try it again when I get a chance.

If I choose the last setting in the BIOS, the Settings panel says
"Thunderbolt support has been disabled in the BIOS." As much as I'd
like to have options, this seems to be the only setting that permits
the external monitor to be recognized when I jiggle the mouse. Even
the same setting in Fedora, although it starts with good intentions,
forgets after a while and I need to resort to unplugging/replugging.

Mike