[GTALUG] Backups with Bacula

Howard Gibson hgibson at eol.ca
Mon Oct 29 15:45:39 EDT 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 15:35:20 -0400
Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I used to use a rotating set of 2TB 2.5" external USB hard drives.  None of
> them ever failed on me over about three years use, although three out of
> four they were generally only accessed every week or two.  I've now
> switched to three 4TB 2.5" drives: the heavily used one of those is now
> stuttering (confirming my pre-existing bias against Seagate ... the
> previous set were WD).  The 2.5" spinning drives are somewhat more
> expensive than the 3.5", but they're much smaller - and, important in this
> use case, more built for movement and frequent spin-up/spin-down.

   I have been using an internal 4TB hard drive as my nightly backup.  I am now on to my second hard drive.  Periodically, I transfer my backup to a 50GB Blu-Ray disk.  Obviously, this constrains my /home partion to an extent that may be unacceptable to you.  On a couple of occasasion now, I have pulled out months old disks to recover files I unknowingly deleted.  I like to permanently archive my backups.

   I am getting concerned about Blu-Ray burners.  Is there another cheap, high capacity medium out there?

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson at eol.ca
jhowardgibson at gmail.com