[GTALUG] USB-C port was Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

Michael Hill mdhillca at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 18:30:55 EDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 12:02 PM D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> According to
> <http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u3011/pd>
> the monitor has
>
>         DisplayPort, audio connectors (supports 5.1 channel audio
>         connection), two HDMI 1.3 and two DVI-D connectors with
>         High-Bandwidth Digital Copy Protection (HDCP).
>
> So the right way of connecting to a T450 should be DisplayPort to
> DisplayPort.

I've switched out the ThinkPad for a T480, which has *no* DisplayPort
connector but brings back HDMI (lower resolution with the Dell
monitor) and forces me to spend seventy bucks on a new cable (USB-C to
DisplayPort).

After the screen blanks, the monitor refuses to wake up. Sometimes,
corrupt images (very gradually) appear in bands. When the monitor is
asleep, Fedora thinks it's still there and leaves open windows on it,
completely inaccessible. Powering it off and on does nothing, and it
needs to be unplugged/reconnected.

Am I missing a BIOS setting? (There were many that needed to be set
initially.) Is this a driver problem or should I file a bug? Happens
on Xorg and Wayland.

Mike