[GTALUG] Practical Use of GRUB's DSL: With the examples inexplicably left out of the GRUB documentation

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:52:52 EDT 2018

Interesting: it may be that the default to-html plugin is older and not
maintained and that HeVeA has replaced it for all practical purposes ...
but if you don't know that you're out of luck?  I didn't know it, and the
default to-html was a major failure.  I did search around and don't recall
seeing HeVeA mentioned.  Anyway, too late for me and I'm good with my
decision as HTML is easier to maintain - for me, and probably in general.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 11:11, David Mason <dmason at ryerson.ca> wrote:

> I use LaTeX for everything - most particularly for papers and lecture
> slides. I haven’t used it in a while, but HeVeA (http://hevea.inria.fr/)
> is the best way to convert LaTeX to HTML.  When I last used it, it was
> quite effective. And it is quite focussed on including code in documents.
>
> ../Dave
> On Oct 16, 2018, 9:16 AM -0400, Giles Orr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>,
> wrote:
>
> I've finally released a document I've been working on for a while:
>
> "Practical Use of GRUB's DSL: With the examples inexplicably left out of
> the GRUB documentation" ( https://www.gilesorr.com/grubdsl/ )
>
> Daniel did the editing, and set me on this path in the first place with
> his own interest in GRUB.  The GRUB DSL is somewhat similar to an older
> version of a Linux shell, but documentation of its functionality online is
> poor to non-existent.  Don't get me wrong: GRUB has a lot of documentation
> of individual commands, but how you can assemble them into useful scripts
> is barely documented at all.  (Yup, its an uncommon application realm.)  My
> greatest frustration with GRUB's DSL is the lack of redirection and pipes
> (I understand why they're not there - but it would be nice to have them).
>
> I hope this is helpful to someone!
>
>      -----
>
> As a technical side note, I learned the basics of LaTeX in an attempt to
> create this document in that language (I'd been wanting to learn it for
> years).  LaTeX is supposed to be able to generate not only PostScript and
> PDF, but also HTML.  But it turns out the HTML generator isn't nearly as
> well maintained as the PDF generator, and in the end I could find no way to
> implement my code examples in such a way that the HTML generator wouldn't
> fail on them.  I also found the language unnecessarily complex for what I
> was trying to achieve and ultimately switched to raw HTML (which you see
> above).  LaTeX may have been a poor choice.  :-)
>
> --
> Giles
> https://www.gilesorr.com/
> gilesorr at gmail.com