[GTALUG] Software Heritage - collecting source code

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:57:13 EDT 2018

Interesting thing seen recently...

"The long term goal of the Software Heritage initiative is to collect
all publicly available software in source code form together with its
development history, replicate it massively to ensure its
preservation, and share it with everyone who needs it. The Software
Heritage archive is growing over time as we crawl new source code from
software projects and development forges. We will incrementally
release archive search and browse functionalities — as of now you can
check whether source code you care about is already present in the
archive or not."

A goodly set of "our stuff" is thereby archived...

https://archive.softwareheritage.org/browse/search/?q=gtalug

People have been worried about GitHub having been acquired by
Microsoft; this sort of thing is part of what can be, to some extent,
a protection against that.

On the other hand, I'll bet this runs afoul of GRDP, and might run
afoul of "right to be forgotten" laws that are starting to emerge.