[GTALUG] programming system questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:44:45 EDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 8:54 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 07:38:00 -0500
> o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 6:32 AM Stewart C. Russell via talk
> > <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > > If you're storing a large amount of information and doing
> > > statistical work on it, you should at least consider learning R.
> > > It's very strong for Monte Carlo simulation.
> > Thanks - - - already on the order paper.
> > > Also, if the web app you're using is public, please share the URL.
> > > We don't know your business data, and I don't thinkĀ¹ we're psychic
> > > enough to work out what you're doing.
> > The web application I'm presently using is a subscription service.
> > They do have a demo that would provide most ideas for my quest - - -
> > sheepbytes.ca  .
> > Thanks for the ideas!
> >
> sheepbytes.ca is cool, the local code looks neat and tidy.  I am not
> sure about the security thereof. And just imho S/R would not be optimal
> to remake this specific java app.. just from playing with the demo and
> reading the tech doc, if you do decide to remake this in java/whatever
> - it will be a lot of work, even with a fw and/or base. just saying :)

If I was going to add the monte carlo portion, I'm not at this time,
there would
be a lot more complexity under the hood. At present I'm thinking something like
maybe LibreOffice's dbase for a front end and a postgresql back end. I feel no
need to totally re-invent the wheel. If there is another 'kind' of
'frontend' where
with some python (also to be learned) needed for glue and calculations well
I'm looking.

> a lot of what sheepmates is and does is also data related...
> If I were making this, for myself and for local use, I would probably
> enter the formulas into a spreadsheet and calculate my feed
> requirements, etc from that...(yes, I am quite lazy - plus this way I
> can give my spreadsheet out to my sheep mates and get free beer)

I will look into if there is a way to use spreadsheet stuff but part
of the issue
is that there is a lot of behind the scenes stuff that brings up
notices/warning
and gets connected. What you see is over a bunch of other logic and some
of that is where more flexibility is needed than in the present iteration.

I was going to offer the modified back to the previous as I don't
really want to
'own' it merely to extend the present offerings.

Dee