[GTALUG] programming system questions

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 04:05:50 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018, 12:51 PM o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:32 AM David Thornton via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > This is a chance for me to test my understanding by trying to explain it
> myself.
> >
> > Monte Carlo is where you randomly choose solutions from a solution space
> and then try to make the results better for each choice.
> >
> > Imagine you are trying to find the highest point on earth. Rather than
> scan the entire earth to find the highest point, you choose a sample of
> points and then see if there is something higher near-by.
> >
> > This is _in general_ more efficient than scanning the whole earth, but
> of course there is a change that you miss Everest.
> >
> > Consider the alternative approach of choosing a point and then looking
> for higher points nearby ( aka Gradient Descent). Suppose you started
> somewhere in Britain... you might scan the local area and come to the
> conclusion that snowdon is the highest place in the world.
> >
> > Now image that you do this 100 time, and then compare the local bests of
> those 100 attempts. You are more likely to find the highest point. That's
> monte carlo I think.
>
> Its a little different than that but you're headed in the right direction.
> The process was developed as the first atomic bomb was being developed
> in the USA (fascinating as a large number of those scientists were
> expat Germans (early 1940s to 1945).
> >
> > Anyway, I'm not sure this has anything to do with what the OP is talking
> about.
> >
> > If I understand he/she wants to recreate an app.  Does that mean reverse
> engineer? Are you trying to recreate someone else's app without direct
> access to that app?
> >
> > Are you trying to examine interactions with the app and predict what the
> app will do, and hence "simulate" the app?
> >
> > You might also consider creating a _smart_ proxy, that lets you cache
> results locally such that if you ask for the same thing a second time it's
> comes back faster.
> >
> > Additionally by implementing a proxy , you can populate your own copy of
> what ever data the original service is providing and study that for the
> purposes of reverse engineering.
> >
> > This sounds like a great conversation to have over a $drink, and/or in
> front of a white board.
>
> I like your last idea except I would have to travel about 2500 km and
> that produces its own 'fun'.
>
> Thank you for your ideas/assistance and if you know an easy way to
> communicate 'chat at remote' - - - well I'm listening.

I just came across this. Tim Berners Lee has just introduced his new SOLID
prototype for social media connections. You can register and check it out.
Its kind of spartan and developer oriented at the moment but is backwards
compatible while it looks to be forward thinking.

https://solid.inrupt.com/get-a-solid-pod