[GTALUG] programming system questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:59:30 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:53 AM Jamon Camisso via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 11/10/18 10:37, David Mason via talk wrote:
> > Electron is probably the easiest way to move a web app to an
> > application. See:
> >     https://electronjs.org/
> >
> > It uses html, javascript, css and should be able to connect to your
> > postgresql database.
>
> slack, what should be a simple text chat built on electron is taking
> 873044 kb RSS memory on my desktop.
>
> electron should be the last resort - it is probably the worst thing you
> could do for your users if you care about resource constraints.
>
> I would question the merit of even moving from a web application. I am
> on 400/100kbit DSL in the country, and I don't have any issues with even
> large react or ember based web apps.

And what does one do when the web is down?

Everything that I depend upon someone else to provide gives them the
opportunity to hold me and my processes either hostage or under their
control.
I'm not off grid but I am working toward that item (and its not just a house
that I'm working with). I've also had enough issues with the web either
being hugely intermittent, speeds whilst better than what you list are still
incredibly pokey compared to major urban centers. Somehow I don't think
rural/urban divide on communications is going to get better any time soon.
The communications companies are only after maximum profit and service
actually costs money so - - - - .

I am quite open to NOT using html CSS and javascript (one contact calls it
java!@#$). I'm not as worried about making something easy to make or pretty
to look at - - - I want suburb functionality and great usability eye candy is
way back down the list!!

Thanks for the ideas!

Dee