[GTALUG] programming system questions

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:46:01 EDT 2018

Wow - - - - a pile of ideas - - - - wonderful!!!!!

Thank you very much for your ideas!!!!!
On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:19 AM ac via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 07:53:18 -0500
> o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > Greetings
> >
> Hello :)
>
> > I have been using a web application for one of my business functions.
> > Besides the limitation of it being a web application (the web is NOT
> > as consistent nor as quick as is considered 'normal' for those that
> > like in rural areas) there are to many areas where I need to tweak the
> > results. Therefore I would like to re-create this application.
> >
> on the web?

I would rather it wasn't a web application.

> > At its base its somewhat like a recipe system. I plan on using
> > postgresql for data holding and now what might be a good way of now
> > doing the work.
> >
> i love postgresql :)

I still haven't really used it much (except for setups and so on) but when I
ran into it and was told that it was considered robust enough to use for
serious financial systems as compared to the that time mysql (and yes I
understand that mysql (and mariasql (sp?)) now does this much better) well
I like 'good' tools!

> > Think that an item has from 5 to 50 of 50 information fields. I am
> > adding a number of items together and specifying quantities of each
> > item trying to achieve levels that I previously specified.
> > The present application uses css and javascript and some other things
> > that are on the 'home' (program owner's) server.
> > Hopefully this description is clear enough and gives enough
> > information so that suggestions might be forthcoming. (I asked an
> > engineer friend and his suggestion was to use a monte carlo type of
> > system but that would be several levels more complex that I think
> > might be necessary for this application.)
> >
> i refuse to google "monte carlo type system" on duckduckgo.com...
> please put me out of my misery and tell me what a monte carlo type
> system is? ( I do love Monte Carlo also :) )

A monte carlo system sets up all the foundational parameters. So there is a
formula for every variable. Every variable has its distribution and
every distribution
has its skewness and and and (it can get very very complicated). Then
one defines
the limits on the distribution (setting parameters) which is followed
by an attempt at
solving for all the unknowns given the area of input for each.
Monte Carlo systems enable one to define the either hugely transitory or the
undefinable. The random number part comes into where if variable 's'
in item 'aaa'
has a probable range of '2 to 7 ppm' with an 85% likelihood of being
between (3.2 and
4.6 ppm) well now an number between 3.2 and 4.6 can be used for 's' value in
item 'aaa'. Then the amount of item 'aaa' is entered and the totals of
all listed
values for all items are summed. The summed items are compared to the required
minimums/maximums/desired values for each value. The overall outputs
are compared
and then adjustments are made to have a combined grouping that meets desired
outcomes.

Its a fairly straight forward process when one eliminates the
variation possible in
each of the variables. This elimination itself introduces new
variables which are most
often overcome by a planned excess. (I don't like spending more than I
have to in
trying to get the job done so I'm being quite a bit anal in the
development of the tool.)

Thanking you for your assistance.

Dee