[GTALUG] dreamhost reply, is dh key exchange question.

Jason Shaw grazer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 15:12:16 EDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM Mike via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> <snip>
> However, I have what may be an easier solution, one that I should
> already have thought of:  If you still have working SSH-based shell
> access to a different host, you should be able to SSH FROM THERE to
> your dreamhost system.
>
> That is, SSH to your other shell account, and instead of running your
> email program, run "ssh user at eugene...", and once connected to eugene,
> proceed as though you were connected directly.
>
> Such plumbing is often necessary for a variety of reasons.  Just make
> sure you know where you are.  The commands "whoami", and "hostname"
> are often useful!
> <snip>

This is a great recommendation and can be easily automated.  In your
personal ssh config, usually ~/.ssh/config you can add in:

Host *.dreamhost.com
        ProxyCommand ssh -q shellworld_host nc %h %p

With this in place, you'll be able to just type 'ssh yourhost.dreamhost.com'
and you'll bounce through shellworld_host (substitiute your actual
shellworld host account) to make it mostly seamless.

-jason