[GTALUG] dh key exchange question.

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Wed Oct 3 16:35:37 EDT 2018

Hi Mike,  in context..figured that out.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018, Mike wrote:

> Hi Karen,
>
> Ironically, dreamhost.com  does still seem to support  group1 diffie hellman.
> I poked at it with nmap and it listed group1 along with a bunch of old
> ciphers, so that doesn't seem likely to be your problem.

Really? gosh that has me feeling better on that front at least.

> Bell doesn't say they block outbound access to port 22 (this would be
> quite rude) but the symptoms you describe could be explained by such a
> block.  You say you can't connect to anyone on port 22 anymore?

That is correct.
I could share the e-mail from my w3c source about bell. Reason why it
might impact me is because around the same time, do not ask why, bell had
set my modem for an internal  network ip addresss of theirs.
If the incoming is impacted, it might be the cause.  It is odd that it
started on a particular day that Bell told me they had an issue.

> You say you can still connect to a host at - is it Scientific Linux?
> Is that port 22?
Let me explain this better as it speaks to how I tested.
because shellworld.net uses an alternate port from port 22, yet is also
using the same edition of Ubuntu for their shell that Dreamhost uses, my
first effort was to test places where the  port could be different.
my command line looks like this
ssh2d386  -B  username placeiamgoing.com
For Dreamhost, that place is my office, curtainupdistribution.org
the -B makes the screen talk without extra steps.
I can add a -p for port and change it,
and use a -g which tries  the dh key g1, in case the default key is not
allowed..will have to check what the default key is honestly.
So I asked individuals with servers to create an account for me to test.
I joined pair network for a while <terrific company> but they could not
provide a port other than 22.
However on the few attempts where I could change the port to somewhere
else, I could log in.
These were simple options.
Lastly I joined a service called Eskimo, which offers several different
Linux distributions for the same  account shell wise.
This is the only place where I could use port 22, but this was not
consistent.  Scientific Linux 6 but not 7 centos 6 but not 7,  and
nothing else no Debian for example.
Lots of details, but I hope that makes more sense.

> You also mention that the shellworld host is at a port other than 22...

That is correct,
for example  my command line for shellworld is something like.
ssh2d386 -g -B -p different port number klewellen shellworld.net
when I add the different port  it works fine as this e-mail shows.

> As technical background, regarding SSH and keys: as others have
> mentioned, DH is used to exchange session keys in order to establish a
> private connection - only after that are your user public / private
> key pair used to authenticate you as a user.
That is understood, my example above should make that more clear.
When I add the -v command to places where I have issues  the details state
say  the edition of openssh a remote host is using, the edition of ssh 2.0
or so that my client is using.
The error comes after I the keys are exchanged,  Stating that the
exchange failing and  the  error  stating that
the host has closed the connection.
However when I could get logs from  my testing, most did not even show my
attempts, which is again part of why I still suspect a bell issue.
Thanks for providing more wisdom Mike and Everyone,
Kare