[GTALUG] Work in Progress: UltraHD / HDMI 2.0 from older computers; interesting KVM

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 26 01:36:07 EST 2018

I have a number of Haswell-based computers that I'd like to use to drive
UltraHD (mistakenly called 4k) monitors.  (Haswell is the generation of
Intel Core processors with numbers like 4nnn, but also a number with
others with branding like "Celeron" and some oddball number.)

I think all/most of my DisplayPort ports are actually DisplayPort++.
That makes it easy to support FullHD (1920x1080 or x1200) HDMI with an
inexpensive cable.

My UltraHD TV that predates HDMI 2.0 can run at 3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz.
To drive it, I use an Nvidia GTX 650.  But that won't support 60Hz at
that resolution.

DisplayPort output from a Haswell processor will support 3840 x 2160 @
60Hz.  But TV's don't have DisplayPort inputs, and UltraHD TVs are generally
cheaper than UltraHD monitors.

(I won't speak of problems like chroma subsampling, colour depth,
sound signals.)

I've now found that there are DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 converters that
are a lot less expensive than video cards.  They are not dirt cheap
but they seem quite useful.  They are "active", unlike DisplayPort++ to
FullHD HDMI converters.
<https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8>
<https://www.primecables.ca/p-362076-cab-24270-displayport-12a-to-4k-at-60hz-hdmi-active-uhd-adapter-black-monoprice>
This works for UltraHD at 30Hz and is a little cheaper:
<https://www.primecables.ca/p-362078-cab-12781-displayport-12a-to-4k-hdmi-active-adapter-black-monoprice>
(Today, there is a site-wide 20% off for primecables.ca so it there
models are cheaper than the Plugable one on Amazon.ca.  I have no
idea if one is better.  Buying directly from Monoprice is cheaper
until you factor in shipping and cross-border issues.)

Here's Another reason why I want to use HDMI 2.0 instead of
DisplayPort. I could really use a KVM switch (Keyboard / Video /
Mouse) to allow multiple computers to be controlled by one keyboard,
mouse, and monitor.  KVMs are either stuck in the VGA era or are very
expensive.  I've found a 4-port KVM that supports HDMI 2.0 that isn't
impossibly expensive:
<https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07G883R35>

($100, but there is a box to click to reduce the price by $10.  I'm not
sure why I wasn't charged HST.  Is this something to do with new de
minimus rules with the USMCA (NAFTA replacement)?  But I wouldn't think
that it is in effect.)

(Apparently the box-to-tick price reduction is to fool scrapers like
<https://ca.camelcamelcamel.com/>)

Here's an article that I found useful
<https://dancharblog.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/displayport-hdmi-dongles-active-vs-passive-re-visited/>