[GTALUG] good deal on netbook; war story: putting Fedora on it

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Nov 22 16:35:50 EST 2018

| From: Christopher Browne via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| It's 2018, and the reason I'm looking for something newer mostly has to do
| with the fact that such a cheap laptop has a fairly fragile case

I find I treat my netbooks more roughly than I treat my ultrabook that
cost 5 or 7 times as much (I have two netbooks, thus the two factors).
Being able to treat it more rougly makes it more useful.  Think: jeans
vs suit.

I'm fascinated by tacit differences like this.

Another example: I find fan noise disturbing (in proportion to its
volume) but also it adds to my tension about battery life.  In the
electric car world, a similar phenomenon is called "range anxiety".