[GTALUG] good deal on netbook; war story: putting Fedora on it

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:41:30 EST 2018

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 22:53, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Just curious... Where/how do you use these little computers?  I mean,
> $300 here, $200 there, $100 upgrade, $50 ram, $25 microSD, etc. they all
> add up.

I have been carrying around a Chromebook running Linux-y bits via Crouton
for 3.5+ years now; it's coming towards the end of its lifespan, and only
cost me a bit past $200, with no extras adding up.

Quoting my own email from 2015-03-15 on this list...

"I'm liking my Samsung ARM-based Chromebook well enough; I'm running
Debian "in behind" via the Crouton layer, which has been working fine.
I'll bet that by the time I care for something more, there will be a
newer model with more storage, memory, and CPU than I presently have."

It's 2018, and the reason I'm looking for something newer mostly has to do
with the fact that such a cheap laptop has a fairly fragile case, so it's
beginning to age a bit ungracefully.  That something newer has
greater capacity is fine.