[GTALUG] good deal on netbook; war story: putting Fedora on it

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Nov 22 02:33:15 EST 2018

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Just curious... Where/how do you use these little computers?  I mean,
| $300 here, $200 there, $100 upgrade, $50 ram, $25 microSD, etc. they all
| add up.

(I'm typing this on the netbook, on a couch, in front of the TV.
That's a good use of a netbook.)

Normally it is cheaper to upgrade a notebook than to buy it with
generous resources.  But it is critical to know what can be upgraded
before you buy it.

The only upgrade that can be done to the netbook I described is
replacing the 4G memory with an 8G memory (I think it has a single
slot).  Currently it has enough ram so I'm not thinking of upgrading.

| Right now, I'm looking for a real ThinkPad at $1000 range.  I'm sure
| others are also.  So, if you know a deal, let us know.  Yes, I check
| Lenovo site everyday. :-)

There are lots of OK deals.  Thinkpads are quite expensive so I
haven't bought any in five or more years.  Lenovo randomly has good
sales.  And you can often get a little better deals by using their EPP
program.

I've been tempted by some older ThinkPads sold by Bauer Systems.

I have no idea which features you value.  That makes a big difference.

redflagdeals.com has many users that find and post notebook deals.
Search the fora for "thinkpad" and you might get a useful lead.