[GTALUG] Video issue? boot screen has weird mixed lower case/capitals, no X or consoles

Glen Strom gstrom57 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 02:35:30 EDT 2018

I'm running Slackware 14.2, 32-bit. The computer is an HP xw4600 desktop
workstation. The video card is an Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 PCI Express. I use
an Nvidia legacy driver (it's an old machine, probably going on 10 years
old.)

I stepped away from the machine for a while, and when I cam back the
monitor was fluctuating rapidly and everything was frozen. I had to use the
Magic System key to reboot.

Upon rebooting, the initial screen had a series of blue vertical lines
running through it. The lilo screen looked fine. When the OS booted I saw a
string of numbers followed by a bizarre combination of upper and lower case
text.

The boot up sequence ran correctly right up until the machine went into
runlevel 4. The screen stayed dark. I couldn't even switch to a
console--nothing would show.

I don't have another video card to try.

Does this sound like a video card issue or might it be something else? I
didn't find anything helpful on searching for an answer.

--
Glen Strom
gstrom57 at gmail.com