[GTALUG] Can't boot using Xorg, only Wayland works on Ubuntu 18.04

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:25:20 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-23 02:37 AM, Jim Ruxton via talk wrote:
> Today I got Xorg loading.

Yay! Me too - I think we must have been working on it about the same
time. Yes, I've found many of the same shortcomings you did in the
current setup, but I'm confident that Ubuntu will get the upstream patch
applied soon.

Like you, I did:

	sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

but I also saw this in .xsession-errors

	dbus-update-activation-environment: warning: error sending to systemd:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs: Invalid environment assignments

which led me to this Ubuntu bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1731614

which made me try:

	sudo apt-remove --purge gdm3
	sudo apt install lightdm ubuntu-session

Rebooting got me to the lightdm prompt, which worked for login. I think
I'm running in unaccelerated fallback mode, but I have working graphics now.

Thanks for the help!

 Stewart