[GTALUG] Can't boot using Xorg, only Wayland works on Ubuntu 18.04

Jim Ruxton jim.ruxton at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:37:38 EDT 2018

Today I got Xorg loading.I did the following:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo apt install nvidia-kernel-source-396

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-396

Unfortunately this still didn't work at this point so I removed
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then I booted into Gnome with Xorg. Removing Xorg.conf may have been the
trick all along. I may not have needed to update the nvidia drivers . I
tried regenerating xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig . Again using this
generated xorg.conf I couldn't boot into Xorg  so removed it again.
Unfortunately using the nvidia card I still cant run dual monitors. I
don't see my HDMI monitor with either nvidia-settings or the gnome
display settings. Using nvidia prime if I select the intel card I can
use dual monitors. Super frustrating that I can't see the second monitor
using nvida but at least I got Xorg booting. I hope this helps you Stewart.

Cheers,

Jim