[GTALUG] Can't boot using Xorg, only Wayland works on Ubuntu 18.04

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Mon May 14 11:16:14 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-14 12:09 AM, Jim Ruxton via talk wrote:
> I recently updated to Ubuntu 18.04 and cannot boot using Xorg only
> Wayland. I have tried reinstalling xorg, reinstalling nvidia drivers,
> setting |WaylandEnable=false| in |/etc/gdm/custom.conf| but whenever
> trying to login using Xorg I get a frozen screen and mouse.

On my 18.04 system, gdm is running under Xwayland no matter what session
I choose. So I'd suggest commenting out the WaylandEnable=false unless
the gdm login isn't visible on your system.

Also, the first time I explicitly chose "GNOME on Xorg" at the password
"cog", I got a blank screen with just a mouse cursor. On reboot, GNOME
is happily running on Xorg ($DESKTOP_SESSION is "gnome-xorg") — but
Xwayland's still running too.

Xorg is supposed to be the default for new installations under 18.04,
and I was definitely running it under 17.10. I was surprised to find
that after the upgrade I'd been pushed over to Xwayland.

 Stewart