[GTALUG] Sending array variable over CGI ?

ted leslie ted.leslie at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:37:32 EDT 2018

If you are in control of both ends, and have a common environment at both
ends (or different env. which have standards of ...),
then you can use a de/serialization library as well as encode/decode it to
sit on the cgi (get/put...),
advantage of this would be hiding, ability to present data that may mess up
the url (i.e. =, &, ', ", etc),
as well the libraries have your serialization and re-hydration to object
all done for you, even for much more complex object then an array.
To an extreme, you would pretty much just have to make a
encodeToUrl( [object name], [encode method] ); on your formation of url,
and
MyObjectName myObj(decodeFromUrlArg(["arrayname"], [encode method]);

But this could be over-kill for your needs (pulling a lib for this into
your current setup).

This also assumes reflection based language (java, .net....) or
accompanying/annotated meta-data (c++).

-tl