[GTALUG] Notepad drops carrage return bits.

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:14:23 EDT 2018

On May 9, 2018 9:12:18 AM EDT, James Knott via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>Forgot to mention, some Teletype machines were configured to both CR
>and
>LF on CR, to prevent overprinting.
>
>On 05/09/2018 09:07 AM, James Knott wrote:
>> On 05/09/2018 07:51 AM, Russell via talk wrote:
>>> The article described the move as a step backwards. Best quote from
>the comments.
>>>
>>> "On a mechanical typewriter when you pull the lever you get an LF
>first then a CR. So Windows is already backwards."
>>>

>https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/05/notepad-gets-a-major-upgrade-now-does-unix-line-endings/
>>>
>> Actually, this is one area where I can speak with a lot of
>authority.
>> When I started in the telecom industry, 46 years and 8 days ago, I

Congratulations on a long and I'll bet, storied career.

>was
>> working as a bench technician, overhauling Teletype machines.  The
>rule
>> was CR first, then LF, as it took time for the carriage to return to
>the
>> left side.  By having the LF after the CR, extra time was provided.
>> Many people also got into the habit of CR LF LTRS (on 5 level Baudot
>> machines) to provide even more time and ensure the printer was in a
>> known state re letters or figures shift.  In fact, one of my first
>> tasks, after completing my training, was to go to customer sites and
>> replace the answer back drums (used to ID the machine) on Telex

I'm curious now, an answer back drum? Like a single spinning drum whos only task was to provide an ID/handshake signal?

I only ever fooled around with a telex in the radio shack at VE3OSC and all they'd let me touch was the keyboard. :-)

>> machines, that had LF CR,  as those would cause problems on overseas
>> connections.  The standard on those drums was CR LF <Customer ID> CR
>LF
>> LTRS.

LTRS = long term return signal/state? like HELO OLEH?

>> Bottom line, it was always CR LF back then and that followed to any
>> computer that used a Teletype machine for a console.  However, on
>> computers, a CR was generally used to denote new line and the
>computer
>> added the LF.

In industry, timing's are everything. Leveraging a mechanical advantage is as old as the oldest timepiece itself. It would make sense to me that the engineering of the day might take advantage of the mass in motion of a plattens own return movement, in order to advance the roll a notch or three on a sudden stop. I use to see those types of timing geegaws in manufacturing and industry all the time.

>---
>Talk Mailing List
>talk at gtalug.org

Russell