[GTALUG] Notepad drops carrage return bits.

James Knott james.knott at jknott.net
Wed May 9 09:07:02 EDT 2018

On 05/09/2018 07:51 AM, Russell via talk wrote:
> The article described the move as a step backwards. Best quote from the comments.
>
> "On a mechanical typewriter when you pull the lever you get an LF first then a CR. So Windows is already backwards."
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/05/notepad-gets-a-major-upgrade-now-does-unix-line-endings/

Actually, this is one area where I can speak with a lot of authority.
When I started in the telecom industry, 46 years and 8 days ago, I was
working as a bench technician, overhauling Teletype machines.  The rule
was CR first, then LF, as it took time for the carriage to return to the
left side.  By having the LF after the CR, extra time was provided.
Many people also got into the habit of CR LF LTRS (on 5 level Baudot
machines) to provide even more time and ensure the printer was in a
known state re letters or figures shift.  In fact, one of my first
tasks, after completing my training, was to go to customer sites and
replace the answer back drums (used to ID the machine) on Telex
machines, that had LF CR,  as those would cause problems on overseas
connections.  The standard on those drums was CR LF <Customer ID> CR LF
LTRS.

Bottom line, it was always CR LF back then and that followed to any
computer that used a Teletype machine for a console.  However, on
computers, a CR was generally used to denote new line and the computer
added the LF.