[GTALUG] desktop comfort [was Re: Upgraded to Beaver and Command Line Says 'command not found']

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 7 10:18:19 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 08:19:44PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Like what?
>
> I don't use menus much.  I type the windows key and the first few
> letters of the program I want.  Like "f" gets me to Firefox.

Problem is I don't remember anymore.

> I seem to be able to live without lots of things.  I listed the ones
> that I remember missing.
>
> Here's one I missed: if I ask GNOME for a terminal, and there already
> is one, it just moves focus to the old one.  I have to type
> Ctrl-Shift-N to ask Gnome Terminal to give me a new one.  That
> work-around is easy enough.

I learned long ago that the gnome terminal is too buggy to use so I
don't use it.  It had terminal emulation bugs which I can't accept from
a terminal.  I tend to use konsole (which has bugs too, but at least
they are bugs you can deal with).

> Can you be specific about what you miss?
>
> I admit that I'm compliant and not too demanding of desktop
> environments.  I have seen so many come and go that I never invest
> much in any.

I don't even remember anymore.  It has been years since I dealt with gnome 3.

I don't expect much from my desktop:

- alt+f2 must give me a run box to start a program of my choice
- There must be minimize, maximize/restore and close buttons on the
  windows.  Double click title bar for maximize/restore is a bonus.
  Supporting alt+space shortcuts are appreciated too.
- I must be able to resize the window by the border of the window
- alt+tab must cycle through the windows in order of use
- There must be a place for programs to show their status (like pidgin,
  wifi, etc).

I remember gnome 3 failed a chunk of those requirements at least initially.

I currently use xfce which does the job well.

--
Len Sorensen