[GTALUG] desktop comfort [was Re: Upgraded to Beaver and Command Line Says 'command not found']

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sun May 6 10:14:48 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-04 08:37 PM, Val Kulkov via talk wrote:

> 1. Useless workspaces in Gnome.
>
> … In such case I use "Shift Switcher" (a compiz plugin) with
> Super-Tab. It gives me the same functionality as Alt-Tab, but with a
> preview of contents of other windows, by the way all of them appearing
> in a predictable order.

AlternateTab <https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/15/alternatetab/>
does this in Gnome. I couldn't live without it.

> … The loss of the ability to limit Alt-Tab to only windows in a current
> workspace was perhaps the most painful loss for me.

Aaah! This is the exact _opposite_ of what I'd want! The Raspberry Pi
desktop defaults to only switching in the same workspace, and it drives
me batty! But at least Gnome allows users the choice.

… even though I'd never use this, I think this is what you're looking
for: Alt Tab Workspace
<https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/310/alt-tab-workspace/> - limits
alt-tab to current workspace

> On a side note, when a Windows user observes me switch between
> workspaces …

It's possible under Windows 10: a little MS-provided add-on. It's the
second thing I install on Windows after WinCompose.

> 4. I agree with Stewart Russell that Nautilus, with the stripped
> functionality, is quite useless. One of the first things I did after
> installing Ubuntu 16.04, and now Ubuntu 18.04, is to install Nemo as the
> main Files application.

I'd forgotten about Nemo - thanks!

 Stewart