[GTALUG] desktop comfort [was Re: Upgraded to Beaver and Command Line Says 'command not found']

Michael Hill mdhillca at gmail.com
Sat May 5 09:43:29 EDT 2018

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> - I wish more tabletty gestures worked on touchscreens.  Does any
>   normal Linux desktop do better?  I actually have a few devices with
>   Fedora that have detachable keyboards; Fedora feels somewhat crippled
>   without a keyboard.

I have an ASUS T100TA that I use in lieu of a laptop on occasion
because of its size. I never use the touchscreen (I tried and failed
with Linux on a Nexus 7). I use the detachable keyboard as a stand,
preferring my ThinkPad compact bluetooth keyboard (my eyes need the
extra space between keyboard and screen).

I run Fedora Rawhide on my work laptop to be able to use a relatively
recent version of GNOME. Before Ubuntu was introduced, I would run
Debian Unstable with bits of Experimental for the same reason. For a
couple of years I ran KDE (the default) on SLES at work before new
ownership outlawed Linux in my server room. I began seven years as an
Ubuntu user excited about what was happening on the desktop, and
finished it not caring a bit. When GNOME 3.0 came out, I got excited
all over again. I switched to openSUSE, then Fedora.

My work is done in FreeCAD and a number of CAD programs that run on
Win7 in GNOME Boxes. I had to switch to the X session for a couple of
weeks this year because of a Wayland issue recognizing right-click
events in FreeCAD. I have Fedora Atomic Workstation parallel-installed
("inside" my existing workstation) where I run git and emacs -nw in
buildah in GNOME Terminal for documentation editing.

Mike