[GTALUG] desktop comfort [was Re: Upgraded to Beaver and Command Line Says 'command not found']

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri May 4 20:19:44 EDT 2018

| From: Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| Well to me Gnome 3 is simply unusable (Ranks about the same as Windows
| 8 to me).  Nothing is where it should be, things are too hard to find,
| take too many clicks.

Like what?

I don't use menus much.  I type the windows key and the first few
letters of the program I want.  Like "f" gets me to Firefox.

|  Just bad overall UI design.  Too many things were
| missing in the first releases with promises of "Oh we will add that back
| later" for stuff that was essential base functionality that should never
| have been left out of the first alpha release.  The "we know better than
| the users" attitude of the developers certainly did nothing to encourage
| giving it any more looks ever again.

I seem to be able to live without lots of things.  I listed the ones
that I remember missing.

Here's one I missed: if I ask GNOME for a terminal, and there already
is one, it just moves focus to the old one.  I have to type
Ctrl-Shift-N to ask Gnome Terminal to give me a new one.  That
work-around is easy enough.

Can you be specific about what you miss?

I admit that I'm compliant and not too demanding of desktop
environments.  I have seen so many come and go that I never invest
much in any.