[GTALUG] Crontab versioning

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu May 3 10:44:57 EDT 2018

I'm developing scripts that get run by crontab, so I'm in there making
updates fairly regularly. I would love to be able to document the changes,
so I'm wondering if there a usual and customary technique to version
crontabs?

Ideally there would be some sort of hook around 'crontab -e', but failing
that, I'd have the output of 'crontab -l' (run regularly by cron?) go to a
versioned file. Plan B sounds a bit hokey to me.

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Speaker Wrangler, Toronto Perlmongers / http://to.pm.org/
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org