[GTALUG] USB-C/3.1 Video and Linux

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Thu Mar 29 12:03:34 EDT 2018

On 03/29/2018 11:17 AM, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> I haven't got my head around the spec enough to know: does the fact
> that it's USB-C guarantee that it can deliver 20v and lots'o-watts to
> accessories?  What about accepting that voltage from a charger?  I'd
> bet that Asus hasn't bothered to set up that port to allow charging
> through it as the computer also has a dedicated old-style charger/plug
> combo.

I thought USB C chargers were supposed to negotiate power and only
provide higher voltage if the device was able to accept it.

BTW, I recently bought an Asus ZenPad 10tablet.  It came with a standard
5V charger, with a A connector and an A - C cable.  I also recently
bought a Google Pixel 2 phone.  It's charger came with a C - C cable,
but a 5V 3A output.  So, it can provide higher current, but not voltage.