[GTALUG] USB-C/3.1 Video and Linux

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 29 11:35:07 EDT 2018

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:17:58AM -0400, Giles Orr via talk wrote:
> I grabbed Fedora's very latest kernel this morning
> (4.15.12-301.fc27.x86_64) given Russell's point that there's been a lot of
> new feautures related to this.  After a reboot I ran 'lspci' - I have
> USB3.0, not 3.1.  This is backed up by the Zenbook manual.  The manual
> calls the port "USB Type-C/DisplayPort combo port" and says "Use a USB
> Type-C adapter to connect your Notebook PC to an external display."  I
> didn't find anything more specific than that, but it's promising.  It'll
> probably be a long time before I test it though!
>
> I haven't got my head around the spec enough to know: does the fact that
> it's USB-C guarantee that it can deliver 20v and lots'o-watts to
> accessories?  What about accepting that voltage from a charger?  I'd bet
> that Asus hasn't bothered to set up that port to allow charging through it
> as the computer also has a dedicated old-style charger/plug combo.

Well remember that to make things confusing, USB 3.0 was renamed to 3.1
Gen 1 by the USB 3.1 standard.

So USB 3 now has:
3.1 Gen 1: 5Gbps (Was 3.0)
3.1 Gen 2: 10Gbps

USB ports do not need to support the USB 3 PD (power delivery) spec.
It is optional.

USB 3 really has made USB very complicated (although also more useful).

--
Len Sorensen