[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 29 09:52:09 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 03:59:44PM -0500, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
> Not the OP but  - - - - one issue I'm seeing - - - my main system (its over
> 6 years old)
> has 8 slots for ram. Almost none of the newer mobos have that many.
> (Just one point for where newer isn't always 'better' (whatever that means!
> - - grin).)

Faster memory has made putting that many dimms per channel a problem.
New servers have even dropped to two dimms per channel, while they used
to allow 3 per channel (of course when they went from 4 to 6 channels
at the same time, at least the number of slots stayed the same).

When ram was slow, having 4 dimms on one channel was no problem.

--
Len Sorensen