[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Wed Mar 28 19:43:39 EDT 2018

Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> 100MB/s disk speed (if lucky) and 24000MB ram = at least 240 seconds to
> write ram to disk.
>
> Resume was equally painful.  It was faster to shutdown and boot normally
> and open my programs again.

That'd be a totally brute-force solution.  If the kernel pushed all dirty
pages into swap then there should only be the page tables and other core
stuff needing to go out, sleep, and be read back in before it could start
paging the rest back as needed.  Being a tad more aggressive about
page-cleaning during normal runtime might even help it suspend faster.

I'd thought there was kernel suspend support already, in fact, not just
hardware/firmware versions of it, but lack of a nice laptop and being
the sort of person who crypts my swap partition mean I've never had the
occasion to try it.

--
Anthony de Boer