[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 16:59:44 EDT 2018

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:18 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | At long last I have created a final build recipe for my new desktop PC
> | to run debian Linux. Replacing an ancient Dell PC running WIndows XP:
>
> The i3-8100 is faster, cheaper, newer and has better graphics hardware
> than the i5-6500.  Why not use it?  Or an even faster "8th gen"
> processor?
>
> Perhaps the motherboards are more expensive.  I haven't looked.  But they
> are likely to have a few more modern features.

Not the OP but  - - - - one issue I'm seeing - - - my main system (its over
6 years old)
has 8 slots for ram. Almost none of the newer mobos have that many.
(Just one point for where newer isn't always 'better' (whatever that means!
- - grin).)

Dee