[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:57:42 EDT 2018

On 28 March 2018 at 09:50, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Giles, thanks for reply.
>
> My remarks, questions below.
>
> Steve

The last time I ran into a motherboard that didn't want to support USB
keyboards at the BIOS level, it was 15 years old (or older).  I have a fair
number of antique computers around my place, so I think this is a fairly
measured judgement ...  I don't think this is a problem with modern
motherboards.  Don't you have an old PS/2 keyboard from your previous
computer?  Keep it around for the "just in case Giles is wrong" (it
happens).

I believe that there's still some advantage to having matched pairs of
DIMMs, which have to be in the correct, matching slots.  But I've also had
the impression that this offers only a relatively small advantage.  But I
am NOT an expert an expert on this subject: I hope someone else can answer
this in more detail.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/