[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.avery.frey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 10:47:26 EDT 2018

***
> *** I know that PS/2 is an ancient interface. I only chose PS/2 because it
> is my understanding that a PS/2 keyboard and mouse combination is better
> supported and earlier, during the actual Linux boot process, than a USB
> keyboard and mouse combination. So PS/2 keyboard and mouse offer more
> liklihood of functionality when there are Linux boot problems.
>
> *** I also understand that USB keyboards and mice, take far more and more
> complex software drivers to be loaded before keyboard and mouse
> functionality appears. So a non-bootong Linux may not offer a functional
> USB keyboard / mouse service, whereas a PS/2 cpmbination might already be
> alive and functional.
>
> *** If I'm wrong on this PS/2 versus USB keyboard / mouse
> boot-friendliness business, I will happily switch to using  USB keyboard /
> mouse.

I would echo Giles advice on not getting any PS/2 accessories. There were
some motherboards that had some keyboard legacy setting in their firmware.
I might be completely ignorant on this matter, but I believe the setting
was for OSes that didn't have USB drivers.

> *** Is it just a superstition that I read somewhere, that there is there a
> memory access speed advantage, to using more DIMMs to get the desired total
> memory size ?? For example, that a dual-DIMM 2x8GB configuration provides
> faster memory access than a single DIMM 1x16GB ??

Some motherboards would interleave their memory accesses. I don't know if
that's true today.