[GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Wed Mar 28 09:51:12 EDT 2018

Alex, thanks for reply.

My remarks below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
  From: Alex Volkov via talk
  To: Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk
  Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [GTALUG] New Deaktop PC -- To Run debian Linux - PCPartPicker Recipe;

  If you're willing to settle for a slightly smaller screen there's LG 23" IPS screen on sale for $150

  https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025346

*** Thx for the tip.
  If you're not planning on adding a video card, you can save some money by getting a case with 300W power supply.

*** Good point. Could definitely save some money here. Agree that the power supply is over-specified. But this intentional, being in keeping with the 24_7 service duty ethos for the new PC. And I do want the expandability readily available with this larger power supply.

*** According to the PCPartPicker website, the current build recipe needs a maximum of around 170 W. So my reasonong is to allow for expansion bringing a doubling of the maximum power load, and still leave the power supply operating at only 66 percent of its maximum output capacity.

*** Also I understand that there can be a significant dropoff in quality and reliability with power supplies of maximum output less than around 550 W.

Alex.