[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Mon Mar 26 22:25:44 EDT 2018

On 26 March 2018 at 11:17, Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> I've configured several HP inkjet printers in my life, and in my
> experience, for the novice user -- compiling and installing linux kernel
> from scratch is a much more straightforward process.

​That had been my experience as well, but I have to say I was super
impressed with a clean install of Kubuntu 18.04 Beta yesterday, my first
distro change in quite a while (predicated by the announcement that Mint is
dropping KDE support in its next release).

Didn't configure a thing. During the install it recognized the​ printer.
found the right driver and was ready for duplex printing from the first
boot.

(I notice it also installed hplip by default, though my printer is a
Brother multifunction.)

So far (touch wood) there have been few glitches for a beta. One is a weird
one that I will report -- you can't have curl and spotify desktop installed
at the same time. Both work, but to install one apt has to uninstall the
other. I suspect it's a spotify dependency problem.

​- Evan​