[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 13:46:34 EDT 2018

On 26 March 2018 at 13:22, Kevin Cozens via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> On 2018-03-26 10:45 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>
>> <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-hp-envy-4520-wirel
>> ess-all-one-printer-mobile-printing-w-free-hp-instant-
>> ink-plan-39-91-2180616/>
>>
> [snip]
>
>> This device is qualified for free ink for life at the rate of 15 pages per
>> month.
>>

> Only 15 pages in an entire month? That is barely 1 page every 2 days. If
> someone is using the printer as their main one they would easily exceed
> that number of pages in a month.
>
> I wonder how much they charge for ink cartridges and how many pages you
> are supposed to be able to print with each cartridge?
>
> BTW, the regular price for the printer is supposedly $70 from Amazon or
> $100 at Staples.

What fascinates me - and every big corporation in the world - is the
question "how little does a person have to be paid to give up their
privacy?"  15 pages a month seems like a very small price, unless you make
every one of them an 8x10 glossy photo.  And how consistently would you do
that?  Even then I think I'd rather retain my privacy.

Most people give up their privacy for convenience.  I use Gmail, so I'm not
in a position to knock anyone who's done so.  But I left Facebook several
years ago, and I pay cash for nearly everything.  The price for this is
that you're considered archaic or just obstructionist.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr at gmail.com