[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Mar 26 13:20:57 EDT 2018

On 26/03/18 12:45 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | From: Alex Volkov via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | I've configured several HP inkjet printers in my life, and in my experience,
> | for the novice user -- compiling and installing linux kernel from scratch is a
> | much more straightforward process.
>
> Interesting.
>
> We have an ancient HP printer/scanner that Just Worked on Linux
> (unless the trauma was so bad that I've suppressed the memory).  It
> gets used regularly for scanning.  It rarely gets used for (colour,
> inkjet) printing.  So rarely that once in a while I have to rediscover
> how to unclog the jets by soaking the cartridge in hot water.  If it
> were used regularly that would not happen.
>
> I hate inkjets.  But I love the fact that they can do colour.  We
> accumulated four or five as freebes a decade ago when they were thrown
> in free with computer purchases.

I suffered from that for a while, and eventually bought an inexpensive
color laser that Linux knew about, an HP M117fw, which works well so
long as I don't muck up the cups settings (I did that once and it
printed copies of a rejected candidate's resume every time I booted it,
much to Joyce's annoyance).

--dave