[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Mon Mar 26 11:33:39 EDT 2018

On 03/26/2018 11:17 AM, Alex Volkov via talk wrote:
> Hey Hugh
>
> Privacy concerns for this bargain are totally valid, but I have a
> strong suspicion that the truth about the bargain is much more prosaic.
>
> I've configured several HP inkjet printers in my life, and in my
> experience, for the novice user -- compiling and installing linux
> kernel from scratch is a much more straightforward process.
>
> I think HP wants to get some field data on UI interactions with their
> printers so they can make them slightly less craptacular.
>
> Also someone can just get one, put a wireshark host in the middle and
> see what kind of data the printer is sending -- that would be an
> interesting article to read.
I kind of expect that if you flame up wireshark that the link will be
https so there will not be much to see.
HP would want to keep the link secure to insure their proprietary
information is protected.
Protecting your information is of no value to them.

> Alex.
>
> On 2018-03-26 10:45 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
>> <http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-hp-envy-4520-wireless-all-one-printer-mobile-printing-w-free-hp-instant-ink-plan-39-91-2180616/>
>>

>> This is a scanner + printer device.  Apparently with Linux support via
>> HPLIP.
>>
>> It costs as little as $33.52 + tax through Amazon Warehouse deals
>> (customer returned units, I think).  If you manage to add something to
>> your order to reach $35, you qualify for free shipping.
>>
>> This device is qualified for free ink for life at the rate of 15
>> pages per
>> month.  These are not just nominal pages (i.e. with 5% coverage),
>> they are
>> any pages (eg. prints of photos).
>>
>> The major downside is that the printer must be allowed to contact HP at
>> all times through its wireless and your internet connection. What is it
>> sending to HP?  HP tries to address these concerns but they didn't
>> satisfy me.  Could Bad Guys hack this channel?
>>
>> Reluctantly, I think that I'll pass on this bargain.
>> ---
>> Talk Mailing List
>> talk at gtalug.org

Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||