[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 11:17:15 EDT 2018

Hey Hugh

Privacy concerns for this bargain are totally valid, but I have a strong
suspicion that the truth about the bargain is much more prosaic.

I've configured several HP inkjet printers in my life, and in my
experience, for the novice user -- compiling and installing linux kernel
from scratch is a much more straightforward process.

I think HP wants to get some field data on UI interactions with their
printers so they can make them slightly less craptacular.

Also someone can just get one, put a wireshark host in the middle and
see what kind of data the printer is sending -- that would be an
interesting article to read.

Alex.