[GTALUG] cheap colour printing with a privacy issue

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Mar 26 10:45:30 EDT 2018

<http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon-ca-hp-envy-4520-wireless-all-one-printer-mobile-printing-w-free-hp-instant-ink-plan-39-91-2180616/>

This is a scanner + printer device.  Apparently with Linux support via
HPLIP.

It costs as little as $33.52 + tax through Amazon Warehouse deals
(customer returned units, I think).  If you manage to add something to
your order to reach $35, you qualify for free shipping.

This device is qualified for free ink for life at the rate of 15 pages per
month.  These are not just nominal pages (i.e. with 5% coverage), they are
any pages (eg. prints of photos).

The major downside is that the printer must be allowed to contact HP at
all times through its wireless and your internet connection.  What is it
sending to HP?  HP tries to address these concerns but they didn't
satisfy me.  Could Bad Guys hack this channel?

Reluctantly, I think that I'll pass on this bargain.