[GTALUG] USB-C/3.1 Video and Linux

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:50:50 EDT 2018

A couple days ago I got a Best Buy flyer, and they have this item:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-zenscreen-15-6-
fhd-60hz-5ms-gtg-ips-lcd-monitor-mb16ac-dark-grey/10737845.aspx?

It's a portable IPS LCD screen from Asus.  I have a similar item from about
three years ago that has two connectors, one for USB power-only and the
other for VGA/HDMI.  There were other models at the time that used only one
connector, USB for both data and power - but that required a driver (and
would have been painfully slow if it was USB2).

But now here's this new model: it's one connector only, USB-C.  And
presumably USB3.1.  And USB3.1 can carry video.  But at this point I get
lost among the standards and their implementations and which one supports
what.  I have an Asus Zenbook (it's Linux-only at this point) that has a
USB-C connector, but I suspect it's USB3.0.  So the first question is: how
do I check that?  Second, does Linux support video-over-USB3.1?  Do I need
a special cable?  Is this "Thunderbolt?"  How can I check if my machine
would support this?

I admit that I'm probably not going to run out and buy this tomorrow as the
old one is mostly sufficient for my needs, but I'm very curious about the
state of Linux support for USB3.1 and Thunderbolt's many features.  And I'd
like to know if my USB-C port supports USB3.1.

Thanks.

--
Giles
https://www.gilesorr.com/