[GTALUG] Booting Fedora from M.2 Optane Nvme

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 19 14:23:31 EDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 01:55:56PM -0400, Russell wrote:
> I wouldn't recommend it commercially or for production, but personal privacy may take a lot of different forms and methods. In a sense nonstandard can be a good thing.
>
> There is a pcie adapter for M.2 so I imagine that some amount of removal and insertion is built into the lifespan of the product, albeit without warranty of purpose.

I would not be surprised if the M.2 connector has a rating of 50
insertions.  It is obviously designed for internal use and not frequent
changes.

> In fact I just wanted to look at a measure of cache performance mitigations for now.
>
> Onboard recovery OS or, deposit box storage of the card w/os & data, are just a way of self justifing the cost of playing around with Linux and perhaps extending the scope of my tinkering.
>
> Externals are possibly subject to theft, loss and impact damage from falling off the desk. Stuff attached on the inside of the box, is just a bit more inconvienent to access and that makes it a little more physically secure.
>
> Three second delay for bios and three more seconds to login prompt, pretty much changed my mind about useage of this card.

If only the BIOS could be faster.

> I'll probably use it as my primary drive for the time being. There is an apparent improvement in browsing the web. Seems like pages load faster than on the SSD, but that may just be wishfull thinking.
>
> All in good fun.

Well some browsers do like to maintain their state in databases in your
home directory so a fast disk sure could help.

--
Len Sorensen