[GTALUG] dmesg not reporting the mount point on USB insert

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 17:43:21 EDT 2018

On Mar 15, 2018 5:02 PM, "William Witteman via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

In the past, when I stuck a USB stick in to my computer, I would look
at dmesg and see that the device had been assigned a place in /dev.
This week, I can see the device's details (Lexar, Sandisk, whatever),
but there is no line for where I can address that device.  Graphical
file managers are also not showing the inserted media (I have tried
several different sticks and card readers).

I imagine that something changed in Debian that has lead to this, but
I can't tell what's missing. ehci is picking up the device insertion,
but not giving me a place to use in a mount line.  Anyone have any
thoughts?

Might need a new udev rule for whatever reason.

If #lsusb output shows the device assignment you can use "udevadm info
--attribute-walk --path=/dev/bus/usb/xxx/xxx
in order to walk the path attributes and get the info needed by udev rules
which are held in the rules.d directory.

https://wiki.debian.org/udev

If you start #udevadm monitor before inserting the stick you can monitor
the system events on the fly.

HTH

Thanks.

William