[GTALUG] Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 12 16:48:50 EDT 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 03:23:56PM -0400, Michael Hill via talk wrote:
> Good to know. If I add a ThinkPad docking station, will anything stop
> me from running *two* monitors at resolutions higher than 1920x1200?

If the laptop is reasonably new it should handle 3 or 4 displays and
should handle even 4k displays.  So with a docking station you should
be able to run at least a couple of high resolution external displays
using displayport or dual link DVI.

With newer models and displayport, you can even daisychain a pair of
2560x1600 displays on one displayport (as long as the screens and system
are all displayport 1.2 compatible), or 3 1920x1200 screens.  The real
limit is usually that intel only allows a total of 3 displays and nvidia
usually only allows 4 in total for a system.  I think AMD has allowed
6 in some cases.

So a single displayport output on a laptop could go to 2 or 3 decent
monitors without a docking station being required.  Now how well linux
supports this yet I don't know.  Displayport MST support is pretty new.

--
Len Sorensen