[GTALUG] Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 12 10:59:17 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 04:00:27PM -0500, Michael Hill via talk wrote:
> I have a ThinkPad T450 with Intel 5500 graphics that I was happy connecting
> to an inexpensive Samsung monitor at home and a Dell P2815Q at the office
> using an HDMI-to-mini-DisplayPort adapter. The Dell just runs at 3840
> resolution and the Samsung at 1920.
>
> I inherited a Dell U3011 last week to use at home and it has a maximum
> resolution of 2560x1600. When I connect it to the ThinkPad DisplayPort
> using the existing HDMI adapter or a new DVI adapter, all I can get is
> 1920x1200. Can I ever get the higher resolution, with or without a docking
> station?

Passive displayport to hdmi or DVI adapters are only single link, and
to use DVI to get 2560x1600 at 60Hz requires DVI dual link.

As you have found out, native displayport on the other hand works.

Another option with be an active displayport to dual link DVI adapter.

Also the HDMI is single link on the monitor so no adapter could ever make
the monitor do more than 1920x1200 at 60Hz using HDMI input on the monitor.
The HDMI input on that monitor only existed to allow connecting a bluray
player or other similar device at 1920x1080.  It was not for computer use.

--
Len Sorensen