[GTALUG] Aging Dell monitor (U3011)

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Mar 10 23:44:58 EST 2018

| From: Michael Hill via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| So I shouldn't be surprised that I get 3840x2160 at 30Hz on the newer
| monitor at work
| <http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-p2815q-monitor/pd>
|
|         1 DisplayPort
|         1 Mini DisplayPort
|         1 HDMI (MHL)
|         1 DisplayPort out (MST)
|
| with the HDMI cable and mini DisplayPort adapter.

I don't completely understand why 3840x2160 at 30Hz works on pre 1.4
HDMI.  But it does, at least in some cases.  That's what I use on my
desktop.

You should get a DP to DP cable for work and then you should have
3840x2160 at 60Hz.  Of course I cannot be sure since I haven't tried any
of this.

I cannot do that on my desktop because my monitor is really an early
UltraHD TV and only has HDMI 1.3 (?) connectors.  It cannot be driven
3840x2160 at 60Hz.  I wish it could, but the experience isn't as bad as I
would have guessed.

There are other subtle things that more bandwidth should allow.  My
monitor does 4:2:2 chroma subsampling and your monitor doesn't (at
least when using DisplayPort).  Again, the results are usually not a
problem for me, but not having subsampling is better.

The next improvement will be HDR, requiring more bits of colour per
pixel.  Neither your systems nor mine support that.